Monday

Tell Them "Monte" Sent You ... Montecristo Monte Cigar

So, I have to admit, I really like to get suggestions from older guys who have been smoking for a long time. I love to go into cigar lounges in the late afternoon, go pick out my cigar, and settle down and watch the boyz smoke.

Yes, they ask me all the time, "if I'm buying the cigar for my father, husband, boss ... " and they are equally inquisitive when I sit down, pull out my Montecristo cutter, my own torch and light up. Their eyes are fixed on the band and me drawing in on the smoke. I think I even giggle a little when they tell me, "gee you have good taste." Because I do.

So, from hanging out with older guys in the afternoons between business meetings or younger guys on Saturday nights, everyone wants to give you a tip. I enjoy talking and asking questions about their favorite smokes (as my Twitter followers will attest) -- I just want to know what types of cigars people enjoy and why.



After spending a little time last week at my local place and sharing my favorite new cigars and why, a few of the older gentlemen told me that if I like a medium cigar with notes of flavor I HAVE to try the Montecristo Monte. So, I did. And ... well ... it had the smoothness of what you'd come to expect from this premium brand. It is well-constructed. The band is really attractive, with big letters. It looked "modern" if that is possible for a traditional brand. It features two binders: Dominican Olor and Nicaraguan Corojo - which are two of my favorites and it came box-pressed.

But, I must admit, it didn't have the complex flavor notes that I've come to enjoy from other cigar brands. It had two or three distinctive notes -- creamy slightly sweet smoke, with a little sour taste that sat on the middle of my mouth through the first 1/3 of the cigar with a healthy woodsy flavor. Then, 2/3 in, the flavor profiles disappeared a bit and the cigar was a bit too bland for my tastes. I know, some people will tell me that is called "smoothness" but I prefer a little more dimension during the middle of my smoking time. Then, all of a sudden, in the last 1/3 the cigar became stronger with more pronounced woodsy cedar notes that I really ended up liking in the end.

Would I buy it again? Maybe. It might be something I'd consider smoking with a dessert or sweeter wine. I was drinking a caramel latte with my Monte and the pairing seemed to enjoy the company.  If you are a daily smoker and you want to add a smoother cigar into your rotation, then yes, try it ... and tell me what you like about it.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars ... enjoy the Monte my friends and thanks for stopping by to read about my cigar explorations ...


~ The Robusto Cigar Babe
Interact with me on Twitter: @RobustoBabe
& Come see my photos on Instagram: @RobustoCigarBabe


No comments:

Post a Comment